Forums

Full Version: amplifier riddle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We had a letter from the water company saying that they need to change out my old water meter with a new one. The meter was behind a wall, so I had to break down some sheet rock to expose the meter. The technician came and made the change yesterday, but he said something to me that made me think to run up to my recently rebuilt Ampeg GuitarAmp and turn it on. So after he left, I did this and the amp sounded better. Why?

I will follow with the answer in a few days. Maybe no one will see this, but I think it is an interesting result. Others may have a similar issue and will benefit knowing the answer.

Larry
(12-06-2017, 09:52 AM)vibrating string Wrote: [ -> ]We had a letter from the water company saying that they need to change out my old water meter with a new one. The meter was behind a wall, so I had to break down some sheet rock to expose the meter. The technician came and made the change yesterday, but he said something to me that made me think to run up to my recently rebuilt Ampeg GuitarAmp and turn it on. So after he left, I did this and the amp sounded better. Why?

I will follow with the answer in a few days. Maybe no one will see this, but I think it is an interesting result. Others may have a similar issue and will benefit knowing the answer.

Larry

This. Your grounding was screwed up. Good that you got it fixed. Smile
Right. He said "I got a little spark when I separated the meter from the pipe. Look, your grounding cable is loose and corroded." He cleaned and connected the grounding cable.

I had never seen this before tearing down the wall several days ago and I did not attempt to jiggle the ground cable for tightness.