Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ampeg "Guitaramp", 1956?
I have had this amp for maybe 25 years, never used it because it hummed so much. I am going to get it up and running again. I did a survey of the caps and will start with those.

I cannot find a schematic anywhere. The amp is marked Ampeg GuitarAmp. There was a tag inside stating the serial number as 605155. The inner works are on my workbench now.

Larry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I replaced the cap (death cap) tying the hot to neutral on the incoming power cord and the heavy hum disappeared. I am reading about the benefit of removing that altogether.

I have purchased about a dozen replacement caps and will start with those. The amp sounds great now, but those caps are original, they are over 60 years old.

The vibrato section is not functioning at this time.

Larry
Replaced all electrolytic and paper and foil caps with new except for three 20uf caps that are back ordered. New log volume pot, and linear treble, bass and input impedance pots. New power cord and power/tube filament interconnect between the top and bottom sections. I am leaving the two multi-caps in place, but they will be non-functioning....with new caps under the chassis. I also did a general cleaning.

I searched for the problem with the tremolo unit and found that there was a short to ground on the path from the footswitch input jack to pin 5 of the 6SN7 tremolo tube, as I recall. This effectively shut down the tremolo effect. Now it has a beautiful and tremolo effect with both speed and intensity controls.

Now I am waiting for three 20uf caps and I will re-assemble. I show my workbench (see pic) with the top unit inverted to search for the tremolo circuit problem.

Does anyone even care? Smile I feel like I am broadcasting in the blind.

Larry

Attached Files
.bmp   DSCF6375.bmp (Size: 2.86 MB / Downloads: 5)
Well, the tremolo stopped working this evening. I changed the intensity pot (1meg, linear) and I lost the tremolo effect. I don't think it has anything to do with the pot change because it checks out. I thought I found a short yesterday, but apparently not. The footswitch grounds pin 6 (not pin 5 as stated in the previous message) of the 6SL7 through a 2K resistor. I will continue to search. I have two resistors that indicate 41k each on the 6SN7 tremolo tube, but they measure 52k and 72k. They are in series and provide a different voltage drop for each of the plates on 6SN7. I have ordered new resistors and another pot for the tremolo speed. I am still on the upslope of the learning curve for tube amps.

Larry
Well, I found that I only had one bright glowing filament in the bottom of my 6SL7. The other was barely glowing, if at all....not sure. The two plates in the 6SL7 are supplied by the same value voltage drop resistors (270k), so I think I have a failing tube on the tremolo circuit. I ordered a new 6SL7 tube (Tung-Sol 6SL7GT).

Larry
I calculated the power dissipation (PD) in the two 6V6 tubes as 12.5 and 14.2 watts, both are cathode biased through a single 300 ohm resistor and a .47uf cap. I think that is a little "hot" according to my spec sheet. So I am thinking of lowering the PD a little by upping the resistor value. Then I thought maybe I will balance the PD between the two tubes AND lower it a little.....maybe shoot for 10 Watts per tube. So installing a bridging pot and a pot to ground would give me both adjustments. OR maybe a fixed and a variable resistor on each cathode to ground, giving me a range of 250-400 ohms for adjusting cathode bias. Thinking......
Thanks for posting. I wish there was more activity on this forum, but the info that you and others post is really good and helpful for the rest of us as we attempt to resolve issues with these old Amgegs. Keep 'em comin'.
Thanks, Journeyman. What Ampeg do you have?

I have completed the Ampeg GuitarAmp and put it back together. It looks and sounds so good. I thought I needed a tube on the tremolo circuit, but I had actually pulled a lead loose on the coax to one of the tremolo pots on the back of the amp.

I cathode biased each 6V6 tube independently so that they put out a more balanced power dissipation. This required a bias resistor of 500 ohms for one tube and 680 ohms for the other. These are 10 watt resistors. The PD for each tube is now 10 watts.

Also, I had replaced the linear volume pot with a "audio" pot. This made the amp get way too loud too early in the 1-10 scale. I put the original linear 1 Meg pot back in and that works great.

I attached 3 photos. Two show the finished amp. The other pic is a chart of the calculated power dissipation (PD) at three test points using 300, 470 and 770 ohm cathode bias resistors on each 6V6. By plotting the PD points, I could choose the nearest resistor to even out the PD between the two tubes to close to, but less than 12 watts. I ended up with 500 and 680 ohm 10 watt resistors giving me about 10 watts on each 6V6 tube. I do not consider myself a electronics expert, so this all comes from reading and watching you tubes. YouTuber "Uncle Doug" was especially helpful.

I have my Gemini VI on the bench now. I am updating the power cord to a 3-prong and changing out several old electrolytic caps.

Larry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-02-2017, 08:25 AM)vibrating string Wrote: I calculated the power dissipation (PD) in the two 6V6 tubes as 12.5 and 14.2 watts, both are cathode biased through a single 300 ohm resistor and a .47uf cap. I think that is a little "hot" according to my spec sheet. So I am thinking of lowering the PD a little by upping the resistor value. Then I thought maybe I will balance the PD between the two tubes AND lower it a little.....maybe shoot for 10 Watts per tube. So installing a bridging pot and a pot to ground would give me both adjustments. OR maybe a fixed and a variable resistor on each cathode to ground, giving me a range of 250-400 ohms for adjusting cathode bias. Thinking......

Hi! Can I ask how you calculated the static dissipation of the two tubes? If the figures are correct, then those tubes are frying. You might check out the Weber Bias Calculator for some guidance on where they should be set. I wouldn't go much above the figures given for 70%
jjmt,

for each tube, following the process explained by Uncle Doug in his youtube video:

- (power off) measure the resistance between pin 8 of the 5Y3 and pin 3 of the 6V6. This is the impedance on half of the input side of the output transformer ®
- (power on) measure the voltage drop across that same region (V).
- calculate plate current as V/R (PC)
- measure plate voltage relative to ground (PV)
- calculate Power Dissipation (PD) PD = PC*PV = 10 watts

6V6 tube has a max rating of 12 watts. 10/12 = .83

I installed independent bias resistors (550ohms and 680 ohms) and capacitors for each 6V6 to make the outputs approximately equal at 10 Watts. The amp has plenty of volume, so you may be correct that I can reduce the output of the tubes further.

I did not chart the results after I replaced the cathode bias resistors and caps, I just assumed that the results would fall out of my plot at 10 watts per tube (red dots on plot I posted earlier). To get down to 70%, I would be at 8.4 watts. To do that I think I would need 680 and 1000 ohm bias resistors by interpolation for the outer tube and extrapolation for the inner tube.

I am happy to hear your thoughts. Am I on the right track in your mind?

Larry