Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V2/V4 tonal difference for distortion vs non models
Hi first timer and directed here from the old V4 website.

I'm getting back into the market after selling my 76 v4b and thinking of picking up a distortion model V2. I know the differences between a v4b and v4. My question is what are the tonal differences between the rocker input V series and distortion channel V series? Other then the obvious difference, so let's say the second channel of the dist model verses the rocker input v4.
(07-04-2014, 06:52 AM)Ampegfuzz Wrote: Hi first timer and directed here from the old V4 website.

I'm getting back into the market after selling my 76 v4b and thinking of picking up a distortion model V2. I know the differences between a v4b and v4. My question is what are the tonal differences between the rocker input V series and distortion channel V series? Other then the obvious difference, so let's say the second channel of the dist model verses the rocker input v4.

They are very similar and yet very different. like brothers from different mothers. Smile

The distortion model isn't a v4 with an added channel, the whole circuit has been redone. the power amp is kind of like a SVT power amp crossed with a Sunn 1200S, but using 7027s instead of 6550s. its a very beefy sounding amp.
the mid eq sounds similar, but is a different circuit. more akin to the modern SLM or loud technologies mid eq circuit. more simple, but not as interesting sounding.

the tone stack in general is exactly the same. but again, the gain stages are different.

you should try one out, I think both versions of the V4 are awesome, but its certainly a different amp.
So not only is the preamp slightly changed the power amp is slightly different/ beefed up from the earlier version of the V series family?
(07-07-2014, 04:38 AM)Ampegfuzz Wrote: So not only is the preamp slightly changed the power amp is slightly different/ beefed up from the earlier version of the V series family?

its not a beefed up version of the old supply, its just very different. the screen supply is run at a much lower voltage, and has its own winding on the power transformer. the driver/phase inverter is a 6AN8 pentode/triode, with the pentode driving the triode cathodyne phase splitter. Much like the phase inverter from the Sunn. it sounds very muscular, or beefy to me. these are just adjectives I use for the sound of the amp.

my point is that the amps are very different although they share a great deal of similar features.
Cool, thanks for tech extra clarification!! Now I'm even more torn though Smile. Buy 'em all!!! Lol
Another quick question, are the v2 and v4 the same physical size? No info if the v2 is smaller like a b25 style head case and the old forum is no more Sad.
(07-07-2014, 07:26 PM)Ampegfuzz Wrote: Another quick question, are the v2 and v4 the same physical size? No info if the v2 is smaller like a b25 style head case and the old forum is no more Sad.

No, the V2 is slightly smaller.

V4 size: 26 5/8 x 9 3/4 x 11 1/8
V2 size: 23 5/8 x 9 3/4 x 11 1/8

these dimensions are in many of the catalogs on the docs page. great info in those catalogs!
Thanks a bunch everyone!!