Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverberocket R212R foot switch / reverb problem
Hello Everyone.
This is my first post on this site. I created an account so that I could hopefully find an answer to a question that I can't really afford to pay an expert to answer.

Anyway, here's the deal:

I have a Reverberocket R212R. Best amp I've ever owned! LOVE that gal!
Anyway, I recently noticed that when I have the foot switch channel pedal plugged in, I lose my reverb! It works fine with out the pedal, and the pedal works fine for switching channels.
It's pretty obvious because I can strum my guitar and clearly hear the reverb, and as soon as I plug the pedal cable in, the reverb cuts out.
|I had hoped that this was just a bad switch on the pedal (AFP-2), so I ordered a new one.
No joy. Same issue.
Button 1 switches the channel, button 2 does nothing.

Can someone offer some advice?
Any help is appreciated.
I will take a stab at it.

So your reverb works, but only when the footswitch is removed. I presume that without the footswitch, the reverb is always ON and can be dialed in from 0-10. That is how my tremolo is wired in my old Ampeg Guitaramp. I looked at the schematic for the R212R. The footswitch is used to turn ON/OFF Q4 (bipolar transistor). If the footswitch is shutting down the reverb, I suspect that the reverb footswitch is always OPEN. I would have concluded a broken wire or bad switch stuck OPEN, but you tried another footswitch....same result. It must be the jack itself. When you plug into the footswitch, the jack is not making proper contact with the plug. This is a guess. But I would look there.

There are others more familiar with that amp then me. You are sure to hear from them.

Larry
Thanks, man!
I really appreciate you giving me someplace to start!

(02-07-2018, 03:28 PM)DannyRoz Wrote: Thanks, man!
I really appreciate you giving me someplace to start!

And yes, you are correct about reverb being ON and dialed from 0-10 when the footswitch is disconnected.
Make sure you report back with what you find.
I concur with vibrating string. The problem pretty much has to be at the jack. Two questions:

1. Did the reverb every work with the footswitch since you've had the amp? The jack itself could have been defective when installed, or could have been installed badly. These things happen. I have a guitar (Parker, nice) that had an issue with one of its pickups when I received it. Proved to be an errant glob of solder in the circuit board.

2. But honestly, I would ask if you are sure that you are pushing the footswitch plug all the way into the jack? I've had lots of instances of devices where getting the plug in all the way requires a little extra effort. Wink

Just somethings to think about.
slight correction to what vibrating string had said.

When no footswitch is plugged in, the reverb works, and when its plugged in it doesn't. This wouldn't indicate an open switch but a shorted one. If the switch were open the reverb would always be on.

What kind of footswitch are you using? it must have a TRS cable, and be a two button switch. if you use a standard guitar cable, that would definitely cause the reverb to always be off.
(02-12-2018, 08:29 AM)Hangman Wrote: slight correction to what vibrating string had said.

When no footswitch is plugged in, the reverb works, and when its plugged in it doesn't. This wouldn't indicate an open switch but a shorted one. If the switch were open the reverb would always be on.

What kind of footswitch are you using? it must have a TRS cable, and be a two button switch. if you use a standard guitar cable, that would definitely cause the reverb to always be off.

Well, it's Hangman for the win!!!
Plugged in a TRS cable and it works fine with the old pedal!

I used to have a dedicated cable just for the footswitch, but my little brother stole it and I guess I just grabbed a guitar cable because it worked.
I can now send back the new pedal I just bought, and best of all, I don't have to give up my amp for a week or two and get charged $100 for someone to tell me what you just did!

Thanks to you guys only my ego had to pay out, lol!

So, Hangman...Thank You!!!

SmileSmileSmile
LOL. New question to add to the diagnostic checklist: "Do you have a little brother?" This could explain so many things. Tongue
(02-21-2018, 08:34 AM)jjmt Wrote: LOL. New question to add to the diagnostic checklist: "Do you have a little brother?" This could explain so many things. Tongue

lol...
Now I know how my old man felt when I would get into his toolbox as a kid!

Oh, and my little bro DID get a 3 am phone call last night! I thought we could put our heads together and try to work the problem out...together...y'know, like brothers do! lol.
It took him about 10 min to really wake up, and another 5 before he figured out that I was messing with him and started cussing and yelling about having to go to work in a few hours! LOL!

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, guys. I'm gonna hang around this site and see if I can't learn a few more things.

\m/ Smile \m/
Glad it worked out for you, Danny. It's a good feeling to work it out.

Larry