Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
835N Clean Boost Dangers?
Glad to see an  ancient Ampeg section. I have an 835N that near as I can recon is 1960. It has the original trannys, but someone replaced the cans with F&T's and the EL37's were gone. Can't remember what with but that's unimportant to my question. I replaced every other capacitor, every resistor, cleaned every pot, stuck a JBL E140 in it, and replaced the 6SL7's with 6SN7's for more gain. I may have a done something wrong in my rebuild because I can actually talk louder than this amp when it's on 10. When I stick a vintage clean boost in front of it the sound is so sweet I'm tempted to leave it alone. Is there any long term damage, other than tube longevity, to constantly running a hot input signal? My LPB-2 is really hot and overdrives it nice, does that present any danger? Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The 835N is a great amp! Those 1950s ampegs are super solid amps.

To be clear the amplification factor of the 6SN7 is less than the 6SL7. if anything you will get less gain with the 6SN7. but keep in mind that if a circuit is designed for a 6SL7, it may not function optimally with a 6SN7, and vice-versa.

I don't think you will hurt anything with the LPB-2. but if its gain you want, keep the 6SL7s in there.

best regards,
-Steve