Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'68 Reverbojet
Been a while, glad to see the site is still up!

Acquired a '68 Reverbojet over the pandemic - really cool and rare little amp. Basically looks like someone took a VT-40 and shrunk it down to about 30% of the size and weight of the VT40 4x10. Sound-wise, not quite the same ballpark - definitely BRIGHT (and LOUD) as all get out, and doesn't have the helpful midrange controls. That said, the trem and verb are top-notch, and I'm hoping I can make this thing a great all-around recording amp.

So on that note, anything that can be done about the brightness? As of now, the tone knob is ice-pick bright over 9 o'clock. Any mods/component changes that are recommended to cure this, or is this just how all Jets are? Wondering how different these are from the early '60s Jets (which are supposed to be Tweedier, yes?)

Speaker rec's are also appreciated - maybe a WGS G12Q? Ideally something lower-efficiency to help mitigate how brutally loud this thing is for home use. As of now it looks like it's got the stock CTS speaker (not bad, but like I said, crazy bright in this amp).

Obligatory pics... (with an early 70s V2)

[Image: Et9NRTX.jpg]

[Image: BdzwHd5.jpg]
you could try removing C4.  Its basically the "ultra-high" or bright cap that isn't switchable/always on.   They likely used a Ceramic cap too,  so if you want to keep it you could try swapping it for a silver-mica and see if the helps.

[Image: j12r.gif]
(02-23-2022, 10:56 AM)Hangman Wrote: you could try removing C4.  Its basically the "ultra-high" or bright cap that isn't switchable/always on.   They likely used a Ceramic cap too,  so if you want to keep it you could try swapping it for a silver-mica and see if the helps.

[Image: j12r.gif]

Very interesting - thanks for this!

Any speaker recommendations? Also curious to know how different these are from the earlier 60s Jets.
There is a way of darkening up the tone control; a simple matter of changing one cap value. Your amp tech should know which cap to change. My amp tech told me about it but I can't remember the details. As for speaker, I just put a Jensen RI P12Q in my Jet. It's a tad less efficient than Webers, WGS, etc. New Jensens are very bright until broken in, so at first it might sound harsh in an already bright amp. After about 20 hours of playing time they start to sound beautiful. The C12Q is also a great speaker. Best of luck.
Journeyman is right, if removing the bright cap doesn't calm the shrill, that's not the end of the line. I think that should make a pretty big difference though.