Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reverberocket 7591 version r-12-rb
hi. i am am brand new to the forum. i have had this amp for 20 years and really loved the way it sounded. not to loud and it kept the volume of a jam to a moderate level. maybe 10 years ago i had it worked on to get the tremolo working and the tech said he had replaced some caps but was not specific. it worked fine although the trem was fairly anemic,not much depth.
not long ago i was playing through it and it began to buzz/hum horribly. the volume had no effect on the sound. one of the power tubes got supper hot and the output transformer as well and melted some of the wax. 
i have some experience working on amps in the past and know of the high voltages that come with them. but i want to do the repair myself.
i am reaching out to the community to see if these symptoms point to anything specific.
thanks
Interesting. The tremolo issue and the buzz/hum issue are likely unrelated.

first make sure you have the right mains fuse in there. If your fuse wasn't blowing while the tubes got hot and transformer heated up, then something is wrong. Ive seen people put nails in there or wrap the blown fuse in coper foil. to "keep it from blowing" both of which are terrible ideas for what I hope are obvious reasons - The fuse is there to protect the amp.

anyway, my guess is you've got a bad 7591, but if there was a bypassed fuse you likely have bigger problems now.