Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAD 1975 VT-22
Just picked this up in a trade (traded a tsl 100 which i hated and always gave me a load of hassle). It seems really clean inside, i just opened it to check the transformers and it seemed like it had never been opened before, the seal around the top chassis where the circuit board diagram is printed was still intact. The valves are magnavox, would these be the original? heres some pictures:

[Image: img_0011.jpg]

[Image: img_0012.jpg]

im guessing i might throw a quad of 6l6's in there like i did with my v4, the preamp tubes *look* ok

and yeah, its heavy but its not as heavy as a lot of lads keep saying.
Awesome! I recently bought an early 74 model. From my understanding, a good 6L6 will slide right in.
yeah thats what i put into my v4, I havent even turned this amp on yet cause i know for a fact that it hasnt been used in years, I might have a tech check it out before I try anything+I imagine turning it on with only three tubes wouldn't be great for the amp?
Not a bad idea to take it to a tech. Before you turn it on. Running with 3 tubes for a little bit probably wouldn't hurt the amp, but it's best not to run it that way. You could pull the other middle tube and switch the impedance switch down to 2ohms. That would function perfectly assuming the amp has no other problems... But again. Best to have it checked by a tech first,
The filter caps should probably be replaced soon. They are 40 years old.
yeah im just gonna take it to him, i dont need it immediately or anything. might take my v4 too, it's been running very hot.

whats the word on these vt-22 speakers?
Yeah the v4 and VT-22 do run very hot naturally. (There are a lot of
Tubes in there). But if it's seems hotter than normal, have it looked at. Better safe than sorry.

The speakers are either eminence or cts. They are decent speakers but not really known for legendary tone or anything. I have always liked them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find some if I bought a vt-22 that was missing its speakers.
(07-27-2014, 02:28 PM)Hangman Wrote: Yeah the v4 and VT-22 do run very hot naturally. (There are a lot of
Tubes in there). But if it's seems hotter than normal, have it looked at. Better safe than sorry.

The speakers are either eminence or cts. They are decent speakers but not really known for legendary tone or anything. I have always liked them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find some if I bought a vt-22 that was missing its speakers.

cool, yeah i have a set of eminence speakers in an old sound city cab. I think they sound pretty sweet, a lot more on the treble side of things compared to the 1960 marshall cab. Was talking to my tech and he's pretty keen to see it re-valved with 7027's, might be a good idea, i'm just looking to keep the costs down so i'll see what i can get them for.

my v4 needs a general service anyway, channel 2 has stopped working, there's a loose connection in the first tone slider and the reverb is intermittent so probably best it goes in now before anything else goes wrong. Weirdly, none of those faults actually make any difference to the sound I actually use but I'd obviously rather it worked 100%

here's all my stuff:
[Image: img_0013.jpg]
Nice setup!
cheers, im fairly obsessed with decent amps and cabs. I would say though that the laney 2x12 underneath the vt-22 is the best sounding cab ive heard. I dunno what it has over the others, it's got the same celestions as the marshall but it just sounds fantastic. I'd love to get an old ampeg cab but the older stuff is so rare here in ireland, i'm genuinely convinced that i'm well on my way to owning all the V series amps over here, no one uses them at all.
I've got an old ampeg st-42 4x12 that sounds amazing. It has the Altec 417 speakers in it which aren't everyone's cup of tea, but sound very clear and big. The cab is really solid, but it's so huge I never take it anywhere.

I'll be posting some pictures of it soon.