Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ampeg tone stack modification
(03-01-2016, 10:57 AM)Roman Ships Wrote: Regarding the replacement of the ceramic caps C101 - C104 to 250pF.

What about that big mess of ceramic caps on the end ? ( 1971 v4b )
C108 - C110.. I think. The big discs in row there.

Replace those with Silver Mica as well? Stock values or change?

(03-07-2016, 04:30 PM)Hangman Wrote: which caps are you talking about? I don't see C108-110 on the schematic at first glance.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Got lost in the shuffle until Steve replied and I checked into it.

Those are part of the ultra low circuit in a V4*B*, along with C101-104. They cut lows. They're after the tube stage's coupling cap, so you can use LOWER voltage through-hole caps that aren't ceramic, rather than high voltage caps. Those should be even smaller than the originals, per what I have on hand. Might be worth replacing them, as "Some ceramic materials exhibit some piezoelectric effects, they can be electrically sensitive to vibration and shock" - though most people don't use the ultra low, so they'd usually at least be out of circuit. Quote credited to Harry Bissell (a really cool and knowledgable dude who I have traded many emails with), from this link http://analogrules.com/capacitors.html.
Hi Steve,
same value for a V4B ?
Thanks for this fantastic site !
Fred (Paris)
Fred,
Welcome!
Yes, the values were the same for the V4B, SVT, B15, and B25B.

-Steve
Thanks Steve, I will do this upgrade with Oil Caps / Paper-In-Oil I will post the result