Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What speaker are you using in your vintage Ampeg?
i bought an Eminence Legend GB128 for each of my amps.
a google search revealed many fans of these, but the decision was based mostly on the price.

i think it sounds pretty good tho.

i needed to know i had something fresh in there; and that i wasnt beating the crap out of a 50 year old speaker.
Eminence makes great speakers. I haven't heard the GB128s but I've also heard good things. what do you like about them?

Ive kept the original Jensen speaker in my G-12, but replaced the c-12r speakers that were in my Rhapsody with some greenbacks I had laying around. I dunno of that was the best choice, I just happened to have some and can't stand the sound of the C-12r.
C.J. Sutton at Weber Speakers has made recommendations in the past for my Fender amps that have been bang on for what I was looking for. I'm picking up an M-12 Mercury this weekend and he suggested their 12A125S; 30 watt, alnico, moderate breakup but tight bottom. The amp currently has no speaker so I won't be able to compare, but I'll post my impressions in a month or so when I have the speaker in.
Weber 12F150 in my '65 G-12
Mr Tom, how do you like the 12F150? did your G-12 have the original jensen before?
Jensen 12" Alnico 5 PM Speaker Concert Series. I think this is the original speaker for the Ampeg GuitarAmp. The serial number (605155) indicates amp number 155 manufactured in May 1956 from the information I gathered.

I just replaced lots of caps and a number of resistors. All tubes seem to be original Sylvania, with the exception of the 5Y3-GT rectifier tube, which is labelled Electron Tube, Japan.

Replacing the old caps and drifting resistors cleaned up most of the hum. I get a mild 60 Hz hum now, which disappears twice when I rotate through 360 degrees while holding the guitar. Trying to figure that one out. The guitar must be acting as an antenna. I am still working on the amp, hoping to eliminate that last bit of hum.

Larry
....put the amp back together and moved it up to the living room. The hum has disappeared. Very quiet now.
I use Celestion Vintage 30's in all of 6 of my 12" Ampegs. Sounds amazing and adds so much volume to these little amps.
x 2 on the vintage 30. I just picked up another gem 1 and it was loaded w/ one of these. I was impressed w/ the volume right away.
Vintage 30s are great speakers, but I would not have even considered them for a vintage Ampeg. When I think Vintage 30, I think of the Mesa Boogie DC-30 that I used to have. Not really the same thing at all.

I'm down to three Ampegs, and the M-15 and the hopefully to be working soon 835 both have original Jensen 15 inch speakers in them. The 835 is a C-15-N. I'd have to look at the model number on the M-15, but it's an alnico model.

I also have an R-12-R Reverbrocket (blue sparkle, 6v6s) that has a Celeston Blue in it. Speaker was made in England - I don't think they do that anymore. Anyway, that amp has a certain kind of magic with humbuckers that is hard to describe.