Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eminence Cannabis Rex for VT-22?
Anyone put these speakers in a VT-22? I bought the amp recently (1974) and it currently has some round magnet Eminence 12442's from 1992. I know the Rex are 50 watts, but I'm thinking the tone of the Cannabis (or what I've read online) is what I'm looking for.

Anyone?
Two 50 watt speakers in the vt-22 is definitely not enough power handling. I would use two 75 watt speakers or greater.

The c-Rex is a great speaker... Just not enough power
Well I questioned it as well, but I emailed Eminence and they said the 50 watts was a little conservative and that 2 would be fine in the combo. They have been ordered and are sitting on my porch as I sit at work. Hopefully, they survive.
So Hangman.. What if I just pulled two power tubes to drop it to 60 watts across the 2 C Rex's?

Which two are the pairs? Two inners and two outers? Also, they are two 8ohm speakers - so wired to 4 ohms. Is it increase to 8 or drop to 2 ohm when pulling the tubes?
(07-23-2014, 04:44 PM)Denton Wrote: So Hangman.. What if I just pulled two power tubes to drop it to 60 watts across the 2 C Rex's?

Which two are the pairs? Two inners and two outers? Also, they are two 8ohm speakers - so wired to 4 ohms. Is it increase to 8 or drop to 2 ohm when pulling the tubes?

For simplicity's sake lets say remove either the inner or outer pair. Technically you could do other combinations, but by making things complicated the opportunity for mistakes or misunderstanding is higher.

If you have two 8ohm speakers in parallel, your speaker load is 4ohms, but when you pull two tubes the primary impedance doubles. So we have a situation where the secondary is staying the same but the primary is changed.

Let's pretend that the primary impedance is 1.6k with all of the tubes in there, At 4ohms the impedance ratio is 400/1. At 2 ohms the ratio is 800/1
When we pull two tubes then the primary impedance is 3.2k.
3.2k/4 = 800

So we need an impedance ratio of 800/1

That is the ratio we have when the impedance selectors is set to 2ohms

So set it to 2 ohms