Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What speaker are you using in your vintage Ampeg?
I put two vintage 30s in my 435-sn before I tried the greenbacks. They are great speakers, but they didn't sound right in that amp.

I've never tried a vintage 30 in a gemini. I had a customer that really wanted 2 vintage 30s in his VT-22. Which I thought was asking for trouble. Its just too easy to blow 2 60 watt speakers with a 100 watt amp.
hi Im new here , just put a Hempopotamus in a Gemini 2 G 15 . Its a recone (but not just a recone) of a 1970s Alnico Eminence 15 . A hemp based cone with wizzer , and a couple passes of a damping compound , well it sounds better than the original ceramic Jensen . Jason at PWR builds them , check him out on reverb. Very nice work.
(12-25-2017, 07:04 AM)slider313 Wrote: New member here also. I'm running reconed Jensen's in my three Ampegs. My '59 Mercury has a silver frame '58 P12P, my '64 Reverberocket has a '64 bluebell C12R and my '65 Reverberocket has a '61 bluebell P12P.

Welcome slider! Do you recone yourself, or have someone do it for you? I'd be interested in knowing where you source your parts, or who you use to recone?
My bandmate has a Celestion Gold in his. Sounds MEATY!!! Really good sound, great for recording. The amp tends to pick up radio signal though so it can be annoying in the studio... I have one on the way and will be installing a vintage Fane. Will see how it goes!
I'm adding to this old thread, rather than create a new one for the same topic. My favourite speaker so far, at least in my M12, is a reissue Jensen C12Q. I know there is a lot of hate for the reissues, but I am really loving this speaker. It sounds almost identical to the original C12R, but without the distortion from an almost 60 year old speaker. Yes, it has a tiny bit of brittleness in the top end, but that is mellowing as it breaks in.
Im new here and don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a 67 Gemini 1 with a Jensen C12Q in it (1965 or 75..not sure).
It sounds really good but I'm thinking of trying a weber or Eminence....I just have the feeling this might be a tired old speaker. A bit more volume would be nice. Incidently...I don't use this amp much...too bulky to cart around. I have to jump the channels in this though...once you do that there is no going back. The only way for me to use this amp. So...have folks gotten a bit more volume with a modern speaker? Whatever that may be.